homemade play dough: indoor rescue!

By | 2:01 PM Leave a Comment


Today is day two of potty training and if you've potty trained you know being holed up inside is how to get it done (in the beginning anyway) and mama is getting cabin fever. we hang outside in the morning but by 11:00 am it's crazy hot outside (thanks Texas) and so getting creative with play...well I'm pulling at strings! Then I remembered this awesome recipe for homemade non toxic play dough! It provided fun during the winter this last year when we had ACTUAL "Texas" snow days (I know, I know..East Coast mama's..it's nothing compared to your winters!) I digress...

So easy. Loads of fun and it's ready within minutes. And..if the younger ones sneak a bite--it's safe to eat..of course it IS for play! 

Ingredients:
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1/2 cup salt (fine ground like table salt or sea salt works just not the big crystals)
-3 tablespoons veg oil (I've used coconut oil at room temp before too and I actually prefer it)
-2 tbl sp. cream of tartar (powder)
-2 cups boiling water 
-food coloring (optional, but I like to color mine)
--some mamas also like to add lavender essential oil but I skip this personally.

Directions
1) mix flour, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a bowl (whisk works best to blend dry Ingredients then add oil)
2) take water off the stove once it comes to a rolling boil and add it in a half a cup at a time to the dry-ish ingredients. at first I stir with a wooden spoon, but it's not too hot to knead with your hands which is what I end up doing. Knead until it's slick but not sticky. 
------side note: too sticky: add a little flour and too dry add a little more oil 
3) I then separate them into smaller bowls depending how many different colors I want to make, knead in the coloring (yes your hands will get a little stained in the end and if you make red dough let me tell you it's a little horrific ha!) The color does eventually blend and it's good to go!

Store in air tight containers and enjoy! 


Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments: